Thursday, February 4, 2010

What can you do about someone filing false reports against you?

I am assuming it's one of my irrate neighbors, but I've had the Animal Control officer to my house saying ';someone'; has reported I have 50 cats (I have 7, still under legal limit for my area). Then after that attempt failed I had the Housing Inspector visit saying ';someone'; called about my house smelling the whole block up.. which he noticed it doesn't. Is there anyway to find out who reports these? And if I find out (like if I do find an inside source who is willing to tell me) how can I stop it, legally?What can you do about someone filing false reports against you?
since most of those kind of agencies will take anonymous reports, it may be impossible to find out who is doing this. if you do find out and can prove who and that it is false accusation, you can sue for liable, slander and defamation of character. the best course of action is to not let anyone know it is bugging you, turn it into something positive and talk about how sweet and nice the officers who respond were[in front of neighbors] if it is the neighbors, they will get tired of it and quitWhat can you do about someone filing false reports against you?
Unfortunately there's no way to stop it. I feel your pain. My sister-in-law has accused my husband of raping her EIGHT TIMES! And eight times it has been investigated and found to be untrue...she's even told the court that she lied. Her latest story is that (get this) my husband ';raped her and got her pregnant because I told him to because I can't have a baby and she would have to give it to us.'; LOL (this is so untrue...first of all I'm pregnant...second of all eww) But then our lives go on and we become successful in things, she apparently gets jealous of our happiness and pulls another stunt like this.





Perhaps if you find out who it is that's reporting you, you could file a harassment charge and take him/her to court.That's what we're going to do next time. A restraining order might help too. If someone you have a restraining order against files a complaint against you, it might not be taken so seriously.





Good luck.
Hmmm just my 2 cents worth. I don't think there is a way prevent someone from making a complaint about anything. It's up to the investigating agency to determine if the complaint is valid or not. However, I'm guessing they keep records of their findings including origin of complaints (names and addresses ect). I would contact those agencies and see what information is on file about their conclusions on validity of the complaint. Ask for a written copy of all relevant information. If they won't give you the information I would be off to a lawyers office. Depending on where you live, a lot of lawyer referral centers offer 30 minutes for $30.00 or something like that and ask if you're legally entitled to any information from the investigating agencies. Perhaps a lawsuit against the agencies in question if it turns into harassment . My thoughts are that once the agencies see for themselves that there are no valid concerns they won't be bothering you again. Be sure to get their findings in writing so if happens again you can show investigators that everything is in order. Good luck. Hope this gives you some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment