Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Should I remove the old anti viruses just because my new program says they report false or exaggerated reports?

My computer recently has had difficulty working. Sending me to weird sites, randomly and showing error messages. So I figured I had a virus. I scanned the computer and it showed over 30 threats with very critical statuses. So I bought a new updated anti virus because (its a long story but, our computer didn't have protection in the first place). But now that I have this new anti virus program, I got it updated and everything. And after scanning the computer, its not showing any threats, and my computer is running very smoothly.





The only things that its coming up with are the other antivirus programs already on there. It says the programs report false or exaggerated reports.





so my question is... Why did my computer start acting funny? and Why now is it ok, when I didn't clean the computer? its all very strange.





And should I let this new program wipe out the others... they didn't do anything for me anyway.Should I remove the old anti viruses just because my new program says they report false or exaggerated reports?
On most Antivirus programs, you can turn off or choose which notifications to display.Should I remove the old anti viruses just because my new program says they report false or exaggerated reports?
if your computer didn't have any antivirus protection in the first place, what did you scan it with?


sounds like you could have had viruses, but if you scanned with antivirus software, it probably removed them.


some av software can conflict with others, so you should remove the software you don't want (in add/remove programs?), and keep the software that you want to keep using updated. you can set it up to automatically update.also make sure that your firewall is turned on.


avg free and malwarebytes seem to be a good combination. at least they seem to be working for me.


i hope this helps.
Perhaps if you named the names of these anti-virus programs that you are using? Especially the one you used when your machine ';didn't have protection in the first place';





Sounds like at least one of them is a ';rogue'; which intentionally gives false-positive detections as an ';incentive'; for you to purchase the software.
Symantec antivirus is legitimate, other 2 are fake ones. You should get rid of them.


Also, do a scan with malwarebytes or spyware doctor, symantec tends to miss some parasites.

No comments:

Post a Comment