Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Truckers, is it hard to fix false DAC reports?

I worked for JB Hunt and was side swiped by another truck. His mirror was broke but mine wasn't. The police weren't called and no report was filed with the police, DOT or insurance. So really nothing is on my record. But JB put on my DAC that it was a preventable accident. A decision based on an incident that was never proven, just the other drivers word against mine. How hard will it be to clear my name? Can trucking companies put false junk like this on your report? Can't they be sued for it? It's deformation of character and preventing me from getting a job..... oh, but they'd love to re-hire me!Truckers, is it hard to fix false DAC reports?
Lil Sister...DAC is now a part of USIS and you can contact them here:


http://www.usis.com/





DAC is covered under credit reporting laws and has to allow you to put in an explanation of any incident reported on your record.





Trucking companies are notorious for putting false or unclear reports on drivers in DAC. OOIDA has a lawsuit going against DAC on behalf of all the drivers that have had problems in their careers because DAC doesn't follow up on reports and uses like one word codes instead of explanations of the report.





1 preventable accident where there was no ticket will probably not hurt you very much in getting another driving job...just be honest on your application and put an explanation of what happened.





Unfortunately, you cannot sue the company or DAC for defamation of character on this one...there was a preventable accident that JBHunt deems chargable to you.





Make sure that you put an explanation in with DAC...





You do not say how much driving experience you have...that will go along way in protecting you if you are an experienced driver...if you are a student, then it will hurt you worse in the short term. If nothing else, see if you can hire on with a company like CRST if you are inexperienced and run team with another lady for awhile...let some time go between this side swipe and a newer/better job.





I wish you well...email me if I can be of further assistance.Truckers, is it hard to fix false DAC reports?
They can put in on your record, but that happens daily with truckers (actually its a no fault situation) But i doubt it hurting you getting another job
Welcome to the club :).....Best thing you can do, is follow the procedure for submitting a rebuttal through USIS. That way, when other companies view your DAC, they see your rebuttal below the false information.





It's indeed very difficult and a lot of process to actually ';clear'; false items from your DAC. If you find it is truly impeding your ability to get another job, you may be able to find a lawyer who can help you get your record cleared.





But don't give up. A lot of employers are very aware of the amount of false DAC reports being put on people's records, and would be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. ESPECIALLY with a clean MVR and criminal record. If you have anyone from JB- an old dispatcher or someone, who a prospective employer could call directly and get a verbal ';good reccomendation'; for you....it may help. Any written reccomendations from previous employers (even non-trucking) and character reccomendations from people you've known for years (clergy, teachers, neighbors, etc) are always helpful things to submit along with a driving application. Some of the larger companies are indeed too busy and ';by the book'; to consider such things, but it WILL make a difference with smaller companies.





Case in point, I have a smear on my DAC from a company claiming that I ';refused'; a drug test. Never done such a thing in my life. I did quit in a manner that ticked some people off, but I didn't damage anything or abandon any equipment, I just parked a loaded trailer in the yard and left it after getting in an argument with the owner (cars- not like they're gonna spoil). Suddenly I'm being turned down for jobs, because of a drug test refusal? It was a mind-blower. I kept trying different companies, got turned down by a lot of the bigger ones....and finally got a GREAT JOB with a smaller company. And guess what? My boss- the owner- is a former DEA drug agent. He expressed a bit of concern, but I went to some good lengths to prove my character to him- and he took my word for it on the DAC thing. And I was told from quite a few places that unless I could get that smear off my DAC, I'd be ';unemployable';.





Don't give up....you'll find a job somewhere. Good luck to you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment