Sunday, February 7, 2010

Plz read...tenant has done intolerable things...made false reports...anyways I can get them out sooner?

i have a tenant that I gave a refuse to renewal to. They have always just been a huge pain in my butt and I debated about renewing their lease bc for the most par they are quiet and they pay every month. But there were other issues that I just didn't want to deal with. (for example they would never let us fix or update anything in their unit. they thought since they paid rent the had access to the WHOLE building and could do anything)





Anyways, after giving the notice (my mother has the whole 2nd floor for herself my sister and my sis' 4 small children live w/ them, then my husband and I live on the 1st floor) Children and Youth Services showed up at my moms door (my mom is also part owner w/ my husband and I) they checked the kids said everything was fine. The next day the police show up (The caller said someone had thrown something on someone else) they founded nothing the next day CYS was back again found nothing then it was a wkend Mon the dog warden was here to check my moms dog (they reported him being illegal) he found nothing the next day CYS was here again who again found nothing.





From the reports and things that had been said we new it was the tenant bc it has been stuff she has always had a fit about (one thing w/ CYS was bc the kids go outside in their bathing suits!!!! which they said is fine but someone reported it)





So we thought everything was cool bc it had calmed down. Then I was checking one of my classifed ads online for the apt. Right next to it was an ad about how crappy my building was it claimed that the apts were mold infested. the utilities (which are included) are always being shut off and are never paid it claimed that there is dog and cat feces all through the building and yard then it went on to say about this wonderful older couple who lived here and was evicted so are now looking for a place to live.





Since they posted that ad I have barely had any responses to the unit. The webmaster did pull it off and suspend their account. I have an appointment with my attorney this afternoon. (which I will talk about all of this w/ him) but the ppl were to b out on the 1st they asked for an extension to the 15th which we gave them in writing. Is there anyway we can give them their money back (they paid for sept 1st thru the 15th w/ their aug. rent) and just ask them to leave on the first? I am losing my mind w/ all these hassles!!Plz read...tenant has done intolerable things...made false reports...anyways I can get them out sooner?
If they have already paid you through Sept. 15 and you agreed to the extension in writing then I think you are stuck with them until the 15th unless they have broken the lease in some other way. Maybe the letter from your lawyer will get them to straighten up. Some people lash out when they don't get their way. Just take deep, cleansing breaths and count down until the 15th when they will be gone. You could always offer their money back if they find something and can move by the 1st but you did agree to the extension so they can and probably will, hold you to it.Plz read...tenant has done intolerable things...made false reports...anyways I can get them out sooner?
if they put an ad in the paper, PRINTING lies about teh building, you can probably sue them for Libel. - talk to a lawyer and I would not give any of their security deposit back and the way it is sounding, they may trash the place, in which you would probably have to take them to court to recover damages. since you gave them a written extension, I hope you got that money from them already - you are probably stuck with them until 9/15 - just remember to give them a crappy reference if any new landlord calls for a reference
If they bother you any more, contact the police and try to get a restraining order. If a new landlord calls for a reference, don't lie. Just simply say ';I have to check with my attorney to see what I am allowed to tell you as there are litigation matters involved.'; That will be all a new landlord needs to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment